5/28/09

What a nice way to spend an evening.

Last night my husband came up with a wonderful idea.

He dragged out an old canoe he bought from an auction a few years ago. This poor thing was so beat up no wonder he only paid $20 for it. Along with it came the paddles and my question "Will it sink"? Really it was that bad.
So after dinner we all put on bug spray, strapped the kids into their life jackets, and walked through the back field to the bird sanctuary in behind our house. It's tucked away in amongst warehouses and a few other properties like ours. I'm sure that very few people even know it's there. So after the kids and cat trudged through grass as tall as them and hiked what my daughter called a small mountain; we put the canoe in the water and I held my breath as we all climbed in.



It was lovely! I haven't paddled in a canoe since I was a teenager and had forgotten how calming it can be. The kids sat beautifully one behind with my husband and one in front with me. We paddled around for a half hour or so and just enjoyed the scenary. We discovered two beaver dams, two lodges and we even heard and saw the beaver. Well we kind of saw the huge splash of water has he slapped his tail. The kids loved it. Further on we spotted some baby ducks but, I couldn't get close enough to get a picture. I did managed to get a picture of one of the red winged orioles that were flying around.

It was so relaxing and peaceful that my little man fell asleep in Daddy's lap. About the only hard thing was getting the sleeping boy out of the boat.

Definately something that we will do again.

No comments:

Post a Comment