2/8/10

A Spark from the Torch

The Olympics are upon us.  They start in 4 days and I have not been all that excited.  I guess because we are so far removed from the areas involved. The free events are interesting but not enough to attempt traveling into downtown with two young children and the accompanying crowds.  

So when I was told the torch would be heading through our town I only briefly thought about taking the children down to see it go past.  After dropping my husband off at his parents for work I headed home without much thought to the torch.  Imagine my surprise when driving down our street we passed... the Torch.



The most interesting thing was how excited I got and the slight bubbling feeling of pride at seeing the Canadian flag and the runners in their red and white clothes. We quickly pulled ahead of them into our driveway.  I got the kids out of the car, grabbed camera from the house, and made it out to the end of our driveway just in time.  



The kids were super excited and stood out there jumping up and down cheering.  We were joined by some other people who pulled into our drive just to watch it pass.  I think the reason it effected me was that there was none of the hoopla that has gone along with the rest of the Olympic preparations.  This was just a small group of women who were running the route. They probably were not expecting to see anyone. Ours is not a main street and there are not many houses.  They were simply running it because they were proud to be doing it.  



It was a fun and happy accident.  The kids got to see the torch and high fived all the runners as they went past.  I only wish I took pictures of them getting the high fives. ( I was too preoccupied with trying to make sure the kids didn't jump out in front of the cars). I am pleased to admit that the torch has sparked a bit of Olympic excitement in me.

Go Canada Go!

1 comment:

  1. It ran down past our house too. I went to Gray's school so I could walk down with him and his class. I am not a fan of the olympics, too expensive for us tax payers when too many other programs are cut.

    ReplyDelete